Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Dove's Nest White Chili

This was a recipe Zach brought home from his mom's house as a favorite, so I thought I'd give it a try. It has a lot more ingredients than anything else I'd made before, and the preparation took me about an hour. But man this is a delicious meal! I have to say it was worth it. It's surprisingly spicy and a hearty soup.


The Doves Nest White Chili recipe photo


  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 1/2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes or--my recommendation--2 10 ounce cans of diced tomatoes with green chilies
  • 6 tomatillos, chopped. These really add flavor--don't omit them if possible!
  • 1 medium jalapeno, seeded and minced
  • 2 cups chicken stock. I used chicken boullion and water.
  • 1 17 ounce can of chopped green chilies
  • 2 cups chopped cooked chicken. I sauteed chicken breast in a pan and then chopped it.
  • 1/2 teaspoon oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/4 cup--heaping of fresh cilantro. I used a tablespoon of dried cilantro.
  • 2 19 ounce cans of cannellini or Great Northern Beans(my choice)
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • sour cream for serving
  • shredded monterey Jack cheese to top soup
  • fried tortilla strips

1. Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the onion. Saute for 3 to 5 minutes or until the onion has softened. Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes longer, but don't allow the garlic to brown.

2. Add the tomatoes, tomatillos and jalapeno. Cook until the tomatillos are tender, stirring occasionally.

3. Add the chicken stock, green chilies, chicken, oregano, cumin, cilantro, beans and lime juice. Cook until heated through, stirring frequently. Season with salt and pepper.

4. Ladle the chili into serving bowls.

5. Serve garnished with a dollop of sour cream, shredded cheese and tortilla strips.

Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment