Thursday, August 7, 2008

The Never Ending Journey to Sorrento


Howdy folks! I'm sippin some of my favorite beverage this morning--coffee, and I'm ready to talk about my first experience with ITALY. I have discovered that posting lots of pics on blogspot takes a reaaaallly long time. For example, I spent an hour just arranging the photos last night for this post, and it took longer with the previous post! Who am I to complain.... I love looking at my photos again! I hope you will too.


Zach and I had quite the adventure getting to Sorrento. We booked a supercheap flight on Ryanair to Rome from Paris. Awesome right? The catch was that the airport is not anywhere near Paris, even though it said "Paris(Beauvais)" on the ticket. To get there, we had to catch a metro from Claire's at 5:13 AM to get to the bus station on time to take a 1.5 hr bus ride to the airport to leave at 9:30 am. This was our only time slot to go to Rome... the next time would be late that night and would mess everything up. So after getting to bed late(only a short time with friends you know!) we booked it over to the metro stop, only to discover it was closed!!! We heard someone inside so we beggged them to open the gate. The French metro ladies took pity on us and let us in. I was pretty sure i was going to freak out before that though. :-) I think that stop doesn't actually open till 5:30 and we got on the next metro. We made it to the bus station to discover the chaos of a Ryanair-only airport and got on the plane on time. WHEW.


We arrived in Rome and had to get to the train station to go to Sorrento, which is further south than even Naples. To get there, we hopped a shuttle bus to get on a metro for several stops to get to the station. By the time we got to the train station, we were starving, so my very first meal in Rome was from a little vendor just outside. I got what I thought would be good, but it actually was a hamburger on a panini. I was disappointed, but I was the one who ordered it! :-)


After we got our train tickets, we went inside the station and got some drinks at their coffee bar. I got a Coke because in my experience, European Coke is WAY better than American Coke. I don't like our Coke here actually. So my beverage did not disappoint, and it gave us a chance to people-watch, which is one of Zach and my favorite things to do.


 
My observations of Roman people as opposed to French and Parisians was that they like to dress a little bit more flashy. Both countries are chic, but while French wear conservatively unique clothes and rock them, Italians like to shine. The women wore tighter, shorter and more fitted clothes and sunglasses. Matter of fact, everyone wore sunglasses. I was just struck by their glamour... at the train station! How cool.


We took a 1.5 hour train ride to Naples. I think the train's air conditioning was not up to speed. How do I know this? Besides my own sweating, the older Italian lady across from me was fanning herself vigorously with a piece of paper and complaining about it to the girl next to her. I think, anyways. I didn't learn too much Italian before we went, but some things transcend language barriers.

According to my Rick Steves' guidebook, Naples is notorious for pickpockets and thieves, especially in the train station, and particularly near the circumvesuvius commuter train. Which is of course the train we needed to take. Sigh. So Zach and I decided we'd take a hydrofoil down to Sorrento and bypass all that mess while getting great views of the coast. Unfortunately, they weren't running the boats, so we had to take the train. boo.


The commuter train is about an hour and a half journey to Sorrento with about 30 stops in between, so it never really gets up to speed. It also is fashioned like an above ground metro, in that is has no A/C of any kind, and South Italy is WARM. It's somewhat cool when it's going fast, but like I said--30 stops.


 
By now, it's about 7pm and we've been traveling since 5 am with all our gear. We arrive in Sorrento and I am just struck by how CUTE a town it is and how PERFECT the light is. I'm really ready for us to find our hotel so I can bust out my nicer camera! We called the hotel and they told us where to go, but it was kind of vague. We asked several people for directions, and it was funny, because this is something the guidebook actually echoed. People loved to tell us where to go, but everyone had conflicting opinions. We wandered around for a while before we finally found our hotel. YAYY! I almost cried when I saw how precious our room was and how nice it was. Score!


You are probably ready for some photos now hmm? We didn't take many pictures during all that transit really, but now  you can appreciate--along with me--Sorrento. It was like an oasis at the end of a 12 hour trek.

Zach and I found a little cafe in prime people-watching position and settled in. Here's the view from our seats. I told you the light was good! In the evening they shut the road down to cars and people in Sorrento like to stroll along the street window shopping, just looking good in general. It was fun to observe.

Here I am with my first espresso in Italy. I've had espresso once before, in Paris when I was studying abroad. I remember being excited about how cheap a "cafe´" was, only to discover no amount of sugar and cream could make it palatable. :-) This time, I knew what to expect and enjoyed it very much. Italy has excellent coffee! We'd also had delicious Pizza that kicked Papa John's in the butt and a salad with tuna on top(which we later discovered is very common in Italy).OK, remember the Nutella jar from my last post> This one blew it out of the water. We went to a gelateria to get some gelato(Italian ice cream) and found this baby. I simply had to take a photo. 5 kilograms!!! OMG!!! I had Nutella and coffee gelato... YUMMMM!

We went shopping on the street, and Zach found this little ring. Our night in Sorrento was actually our year and a half anniversary too!


All kinds of interesting people were in Sorrento at night. This guy was a mime, of course.

Here we have an invisible man. He actually could move around and shake your hand and stuff!

The next day we had a delicious breakfast with Hotel Castarita's owner and some other houseguests. It was delicious and homey! We set out to walk around and found the mime in a new costume! Today he was a clown!



Sorrento is a coastal town with a beautiful view! What do you think?
This is the other direction. :-)

House near the water.

More Sorrento. There were so many opportunities to take great photos.

This was in town.
Viva Italia

Here is a view of the main square in Sorrento. The light was strong, so I did some PS work.
I'm not really sure what this is, but we took photos on top of a bridge looking down!
I HAD to get a photo in an ice cream cone chair. We got granitas here just so we wouldn't look so silly taking pics.

This is the inside door to our hotel!

This is a view from inside the bottom floor courtyard. 


So concludes our time in Sorrento. Hope you've enjoyed it! Stay tuned for more Italy fun. I may not post anymore this weekend though, because Zach and I are going with his family to a ranch in Hamilton tomorrow morning. Ciao!

3 comments:

  1. I forgot how beautiful Sorrento was! Your pictures are a fabulous representation of the feel there! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhh gosh, i am so jealous! how on earth are you getting to go all these wonderful places?!?!

    i actually don't remember how i got that picture at the top of my blog, but do you recognize the sculpture? it is at the louvre in the courtyard! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. NUTELLA!!! Again, you take the best photos.

    I completely forgot about that mossy, grassy abyss that you photographed... but I've BEEN there, and I took a picture of it too! Who knows what that business is.

    ReplyDelete