Sunday, January 2, 2011

Barbecue Skillet Pork Chops

I made this meal recently and as soon as Zach tasted it, he said "You have to blog this recipe." :-) I think it's really tasty as well, and easy to make. I'm not usually a fan of pork chops unless they are cooked with a flavorful mix of spices, or in this case, a homemade BBQ sauce. Hope you like it--let me know what you think! I got this recipe from my favorite recipe book, Betty Crocker's Quick & Easy Cookbook.


Abigail Elizabeth Boatwright photos bbq pork chop skillet

Barbecue Skillet Pork Chops

  • 4 pork loin or rib chops, 1/2 inch thick (At least 1.25 pounds)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper(These measurements I threw out the window--just season to taste. ;-))
  • 1 can(15 ounces) of chunky tomato sauce with onions, celery and green bell peppers. I always use Ragu, but you can use your favorite sauce.
  • 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons white vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon ground mustard
1. Spray a 12-inch nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat.
2. Sprinkle both sides of the pork with salt and pepper.
3. Cook pork in skillet about 5 minutes, flipping it once, until it's brown.
4. Stir the remaining ingredients(tomato sauce, brown sugar, white vinegar, ground mustard) into the skillet.
5. Heat till boiling and then reduce the heat.
6. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the pork is slightly pink when cut near the bone.

This would be perfect with roasted potatoes or beans and potato salad. I made it with salad for Z. :-)

Nutritional information:
1 serving: calories 230. fat 8g. cholesterol 65mg. sodium 560mg. carbohydrates 16g. dietary fiber 1g. Protein 24g. Diet exchanges: 1 starch, 3 lean meat.

2 comments:

  1. Just a random comment: did you know you're not supposed to use cooking spray on non-stick surfaces? I'd been doing it for years until I read on a cooking site that it can compromise the non-stick coating or cause funky build-up. So now I just pour a tiny bit of cooking oil on the pan and rub it in with a paper towel. A little extra work but it works just as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's interesting! The recipe book specified that, but my pans are actually stainless steel non-coated. I haven't gotten the hang of cooking without oil or pam, so... I have to do that. :-) Good to know!

    ReplyDelete