Friday, September 19, 2008

Of Willy, girlfriends and life

I've been wanting to post for a few days! I have several drafts with the pictures uploaded, but I still have to write the words. I figured I could catch up on what's been going on this week here!

I took this photo last week of Alfred. I thought it was pretty cool! I haven't done any photoshop treatment to it yet. Do any of you have any suggestions?
Last weekend, Zach and I went to a wedding and a baby shower for some of his friends in the midst of Mr. Ike. We only got constant rain, but we did a lot of driving around in it! This photo is from the wedding reception. I thought it was a really neat way to decorate.Later that night we went to the baby shower. I should note that the shower was NOT for the same couple as the wedding! It was at a Mexican restaurant. I don't think I've ever been to a co-ed shower with drinking games... One of the games was a chugging contest between all the guys... chugging margaritas out of baby bottles! Here I am pretending to drink the rest of Zach's bottle. :-)Last Sunday was Zach's dad Dean's birthday. We had a little party for him and I got him a card that made dog sniffing noises when you open it. We showed it to Gideon and he was enthralled, as you can see.This past week has been so great because I've gotten to spend time with some really good friends. I miss being in college because we don't have the luxury of random all-night hangouts and just the free time to build good friendships. So when I get the chance to spend a few hours with someone, it just really makes my day. And this has been a great week for that! 

Sunday I got to meet up with my friend Calle in Tyler. We were on the Equestrian team at A&M and I really haven't seen her since she graduated probably 2.5 years ago. That is just sad! She's a great friend. She lives in Montana and came to Texas for a wedding in College Station. We caught up with some margaritas and guacamole at On the Border. YUM!
Also this week, I got to hang out with my friend Alicia. I met her through Jashley, and it's one of those things where you are just amazed that you have so much in common with someone. It might sound nerdy, but I feel like it's kind of like going on a really good date or something. :-) I'm looking forward to hanging with her a lot more in the future.

Finally, last night I got to meet up with another friend who I just love hanging out with because we have alot in common as well. I met miss Katie through Stephanie--I think I'm done linking to other blogs in this post--I do apologize! But Katie and I go wayy back. We had a great time at this place called the Dream Cafe. Yum yum! You should try it sometime. I had the best Sangria I've ever had there.

The other night Zach and I cooked dinner. You never know what you are going to get when it's been a while since your last trip to the grocery store. We made crepes with tarragon chicken, parmesan cheese and chopped black olives. Zach decided to put Nutella and some peas on his... he insisted that it tasted good...
I took this photo at the barn with my little camera. There are probably about 15 or more peacocks and peahens at Rocky Top, and they roost in these two dead trees at night. It's kind of creepy actually. If any of you are wishing to own a peacock, keep in mind that they like to call out and they kind of sound like a woman shrieking. Not too fun!

So not for an update on Willy. You can skip this if you aren't interested in horse care or founder. I won't tell anyone. :-) Last time I talked about him, I mentioned that he had rubber  "lily pads" on his feet. I couldn't find a photo of them online anywhere. He got them taken off yesterday, so I got to take a photo of them.We wrapped his feet with Elastikon to hold the lily pads in place. The first week Willy was lame, he had nothing special on his feet because I didn't know what was wrong with him and I'd hoped it was a stone bruise or soreness from his new shoes. The vet came out, said he might be foundering but wasn't sure so he didn't take off his shoes. He gave him DMSO by tube to his stomach--which stinks to high heaven, and we gave him 2ccs of Bute every day. After that weekend, the vet came out, saw that he wasn't better and pulled his shoes off and gave him DMSO again. He put those lily pads on with Elastikon and duct tape. I continued to give him Bute and iced his feet for the first few days. It didn't work very well. Willy got into some mud so his bandages disintegrated in less than a week. We took them off, thinking he might be OK last week and he ended up relapsing, becoming very lame again. So another vet from the same practice came out, said he was still foundering and wrapped him up like this--no duct tape--for 3 days to see if his hoof bones and laminae would stabilize. He also gave him DMSO again.

Hurricane Ike came along that weekend, so I had to keep Willy in a stall confined to help his feet stay dry. I gave him Ace every day. His feet didn't stabilize until this week. Yesterday, the vet came out and was very happy with Willy's condition. He said we could take the lily pads off and start the special shoeing treatment. YAY!! He's on the road to recovery!

Sorry for the blurry photos here. The farrier took a netting of fiberglass and laid it in between Willy's hooves and the shoes. 

Next, he attached a foam square to the foot so he can form the special rubberlike pads.He squirted in this mixture that molds to the horse's sole to offer custom support while encouraging the sole to grow thicker and stronger--this is key to helping the horse recover from laminitis(founder). It also has some elements of copper to keep the horse from developing thrush.

This is what the shoe looks like. He'll be wearing this for at least 2-3 more shoeings. Horses get shod every 6 weeks, so we're looking at 12-16 weeks before he's done with this treatment. The good news is I might be able to ride him after the next shoeing in 5 weeks! What do you think of Willy's tennis shoes?



5 comments:

  1. I laughed out loud about the "really good date" thing - haha! Well I guess I felt the same way! We're freakishly alike! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they gotta make horse shoes with a nike swoosh. tha would rock

    ReplyDelete
  3. POOR WILLY!!!! I'm glad he's on the road to recovery, but bless his little heart! That sounds awful!

    On a happier note, I LOVE LOVE LOVE your photo of Alfred! VERY artistic! You should sell it! So cool! You should totally do more stuff like this! :)

    ALSO really like the photo of the tree with the peacocks! They are such beautiful and weird birds. When I was litte, before living in Bulverde, we had a neighbor who owned a peacock and whenever me and my mom would go on walks in the evenings or mornings, it would shriek and scream! It always creeped me out when I was little. Again, I say, WEIRD birds.

    And now,Zach with his nutella-pea-crepe? Non, non, ma cherie. That looks disgusting, I'm afraid.

    Miss you. Wish I could see your face soon. My next trip to Dallas, let's you, me, and Katie plan a date to somewhere French. I'm longing for Paris lately.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh friend! What a lovely and meaty post. Thank you for linking to me! :-) I must remind you though, we met WAY before I knew Stephanie... Rez Choir, piano lessons... did you do King's Kids too? Either way, Stephanie was definitely the glue that brought us back together in adulthood. :-)

    Thanks also for the good tutorial on Willy's shoes. I've been really confused about founder and lily pads, and you did a good job of explaining it in person the other day, but the pics definitely help.

    I went back to Dream Cafe on Sunday and had a glass of sangria with Brad and thought of you!

    Re: Stephanie's post, I agree. Let's go to Toulouse on Knox when she visits! SOOO authentically French. :-)

    Love you! LONG COMMENT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. Love the peacock picture and the Alfred picture!!! The peacock one I would blow up and frame... sooo eery and mystical.

    As for the Photoshop effects on Alfred. I love the way the blinds look. They look like a gradient layer already! I'd just leave it! But if you selected just the "peeking" portion, where his eyes and face are, etc. -- you could enhance and brighten the colors, adjust the contrast, maybe even do one of the artistic filters, like crayon... ? Very cool!

    ReplyDelete