Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Cleaning tips-got any?

I'm currently iced in to my apartment. I awoke to a temperature of 19 degrees(unheard of in this part of texas) and the precipitation during the last few days settled into ice. YAY! I'm going to work a little later. Last night I tried to clean my bathroom with baking powder+ water, sponges and a toothbrush on the grout. I'm pretty good at getting the rest of the house sparkling, and I'm OK at getting the bathroom clean, but I have this fear about chemical interactions in the bathroom. I don't know what to use to clean, and the stuff I do use doesn't seem to work. Plus I've got a giant garden tub so it's hard to scrub and rinse.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure some of you are a lot smarter about cleaning than me, and some know  a lot about being green(Our Green Nest). I'm appealing to any of you with a tip or two. Please share what techniques you've got to make your bathrooms look good!

4 comments:

  1. This probably isn't green, but I recently discovered Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser for bathrooms -- they have a version that's 3x concentrated -- and it works like a CHARM! My tub is also really hard to clean because it's just so OLD and I feel like grime gets absorbed by it! But the Magic Eraser made my tub/ tile/ sink SPARKLE, without a whole lot of muscle.

    There's my little commercial for the day. I promise Mr. Clean is not one of my clients, haha!

    I also use Scrubbin' Bubbles with a course sponge for water spots, Windex for my mirror, Seventh Generation toilet bowl cleaner (that IS a green product!), and when I'm all finished, I spray the whole thing with Lysol bathroom disinfectant and don't wipe it up. Just let it sit (it's a fine spray).

    Mrs. Meyers and Seventh Generation are readily available "green/ natural" cleaning products. I use Mrs. Meyers in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Abby! Below is a post of mine from this last July on green cleaners...honestly, you have to be really careful about what you buy b/c there is so much greenwashing that goes on but you can read more about it in my post. In it, I have several links to different recipes...click on the one I say is the BEST...it's amazing - it's the Bible on natural cleaning. :) I also recommend Green This! by Deirdre Imus...it's a good read, especially for someone new to green cleaning.

    http://ourgreennest.blogspot.com/2008/07/clean-your-air-household-cleaners.html

    ALL you really need to get your bathroom or any room clean is baking soda, vinegar, distilled water, some essential oils, rags, and scrubbers - that's it! Let me know if you need or want anything else! I would be more than happy to email you our All-Purpose Spray recipe that we make too if you want it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And we get our baking soda, castile soap, and essential oils all from Mountain Rose Herbs online and gallons of distilled water and vinegar (buy Heinz b/c it's grain derived rather than petroleum derived) from Tom Thumb...just fyi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://shutterbabe.wordpress.com/2009/02/24/i-think-that-im-in-love/

    this stuff is natural. :-) It's what I use so nate doesn't eat something toxic

    ReplyDelete