Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Back in the saddle

Willy got his special laminitis-preventing tennies reset this week and I finally got the go ahead to ride him. So tonight was the first time we saddled up in several months! I turned him out in the arena to blow off some steam before I got on because he's been raring to go for weeks. He spooks at every little thing on our walks. Last week, my 24 year old ranch pony stopped dead in his tracks, then ran sideways away from---2 black cows he's seen before. So, I was glad to let him snort and buck and race around before I got on for sure! We just walked and trotted for half an hour, but riding a good horse just does something for the soul. Willy loves to be ridden. He was so happy when we were done! I think he hated not having a job and being cooped up for all this time. 

It's funny how priorities can shift. I've had Willy in DFW with me almost as long as I've lived here(nearly 2 years) and this past year I just got really busy. I'd go see Willy maybe once a week and I wouldn't always ride. Besides always having a full schedule that made trips to the barn difficult, I just got bored riding without a competitive goal. There's only so much tuning up I could do when the horse is trained as much as he is, and I always felt guilty for not going out there more. But when Willy foundered, I realized that I can make it out to the barn more often and I enjoy it. It's been a while since I've ridden, and I didn't feel like I missed the riding part all that much until I found out I could ride him today and I got back in the saddle. I'd forgotten that this is as much a part of me as anything. Isn't that ironic, since I spend my workdays researching, writing about and photographing horses? I'm so glad I have a horse like my Williford, and I'm looking forward to his recovery so we can get after the cattle again. I'm convinced that's his favorite activity.

Do any of you have a hobby or pursuit that you feel is really a part of you?

2 comments:

  1. Abby, I have to say I love reading your blog and seeing your photos--you've gotten so good with a camera, I'm jealous!

    Also, I have to agree with you about the priorities and missing riding--I've been missing being able to just head to the barn and ride whenever I want since I moved to Amarillo almost 3 years ago. You never thought something that simple makes such a big part of your life, but it does. I can only hope that soon I'll be able to have one of my horses here in Lexington with me, but until then, I'll have to settle for the 3.5 hr drives home once a month or so...

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. my hobby would have to be SEWING. i'm such a granny... :-P i learned how to sew when i was about 7 or so and then i sewed all the way until i started a&m... then i got too busy, etc, but this past year in del rio, i dug out the old machine, went ga-ga at jo-ann fabric and wa-la, i'm sewing again. so far: 1 shirt, 4 dresses; 2 hooter hider nursing covers; 2 baby slings and about to work on a christmas tree skirt and stockings. i love love love it and realized that i do have the time :-) i love having one huge piece of fabric, then creating something out of it. enjoy your time with willy! :-)

    ReplyDelete